Fernswood Plantation - Ca. 1867
Dr. and Mrs. Steven Savage, Owners
3475 Blue Creek Road
Lynnville, TN 38472
This lovely three-bay Federal type home was built by Ephriam H. (1829-1909) and Eliza Dickerson Gordon. Ephriam acquired the original land on Buford Station Road on which the house was built in 1867. It is probable that the house was built shortly thereafter. The house appears to have been built in various stages: one part being built right after the Civil War ended and another added on around 1890. The original portion is supported by massive timbers with mortice and tenon construction. At some point a second story was added. The Ephriam Gordon Homestead was built one-half mile from his father's plantation home, "Mont Gordon", which burned in the 1950's.
Ephriam was a merchant in old Lynnville. He joined the Third Tennessee Regiment of the Confederate Army early in the conflict, and was captain of his unit. He was captured at Ft. Donelson. When paroled, he re-enlisted in the Eleventh Calvary for the remainder of the war. They had five children and Mr. Gordon died at this home at the age of 79. Ephriam was one of five sons of Thomas Kennedy Gordon who fought for the Confederacy. Thomas K. Gordon was very prosperous owing some 28,000 acres prior to the outbreak of the war. The entire family suffered during the war with the confiscation of their property.
It is uncertain who owned the home between 1909 and 1938. L. M. Cheatham bought the home in 1938 and it was later owned by Nat & Dorothy Cheatham, William and Katherine Whitworth, and Fred and Deanna Goad. In 1997, the Emphriam Gordon home was originally scheduled to be burned by the Rescue Squad. Fred Goad donated it to Dr. And Mrs. Stephen Savage to move and preserve. It's present homesite is approximately two miles from it's original location. The Savage's moved it and have been lovingly renovating it ever since.
"Far Corner Farm" (Formerly the 'Martinhurst Plantation') - Ca. 1933
Thomas Martin-Schueler-Whitworth-Robeson House
Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Robeson, Owners
5970 Buford Station Road
Lynnville, TN 38472
In the early 1800's, Thomas Martin owned thousands of acres on both sides of Buford Station Rd. The name of his plantation was "Martinhurst". He is credited for saving the town of Pulaski from being razed by Union Troops during the Civil War by paying their demand of $3,000. He also founded 'Martin Methodist College'.
Eric and Louise Schueler, Sr. later owned the Martin land. The Schueler's were from Chicago and manufactured boxes for the "Mars Candy Co." Mr. Frank Mars was going to Chicago by train, as was Louise Schueler, and they got into a converstaion about farms. He told her he was loooking for good Bluegrass-land on which to raise Thoroughbred horses. As the Scheuler's owned 'Douglas Manor' and knew the country, she suggested he consider this area, and he did, amassing the 2,805 acres that became the celebrated 'Milky Way Farms'. "Martinhurst" either burned down or was torn down and rebuilt in 1933. The mantel from the original structure was saved and is in the dining room today.
A large, black, ironworked 'S' remains on the outside rock chimney. The original smokehouse remains on the property today. The large horse barn is constructed of logs and has been carefully and attractively restored. The smokehouse on the property is original to the property and also built of logs. There is also a springhouse on the front of the property.
Around 1989 the house and land was purchased by Katherine and William Whitworth and sold to Genette and Gerald Robeson in 1999 who remain the present owners. The Robeson are members of 'Hillsboro Hounds', who have named it 'Far Corner Farm'.
Dr. A.M. Allen-Cobb-Tacker-Robinson House - Ca. 1902
Mr. and Mrs. Allen Robinson, Owners
10523 Columbia Highway
Lynnville, TN. 38472
This home was built for Dr. Alex Allen and his loving wife, Laura Penelope, in 1902. Dr. Allen was a country doctor who served the Lynnville area. Laura Penelope was the sister to Dr. Allen Woodward Deane and later when Laura Penelope passed away, Dr. Allen would move into the home of Dr. and Mrs. Deane because he was so forlorn without his wife.
The exterior of the beautiful home is handmade from decorative blocks made on the property. The woodwork is chestnut and is the original and has never been refinished. The home has two staircases and the front staircase is exceptionally beautiful and the home has five fireplaces with gorgeous mantles with mirrors built over them. The huge pocket doors separate the hallway from the living room and slide with ease.
The Robinson's bought the home in 1976 and have lovingly made it even more beautiful over the years.
Cohen-Forrester-Hoover House - Ca. 1933
Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hoover, Owners
448 East College Street
Pulaski, TN 38478
Built as a TVA model house, the home was the first in Giles County to be constructed with original electricity throughout. Louis and Bertha Cohen, one of the owners of M. Cohen & Sons Wholesale Groceries bought this property and one other adjoining lot in 1933 from the John G. Ballentine, Jr. decendants, one of which was Dr. Andrew M. Ballentine. In 1965, the property and home was bought by W. Howell and Anne Forrester, Attorney-At-Law. Villere and Sharon Cross bought the property in 1993, and the current owners, M. Andrew and Wendy Hoover bought the property in 1994. The Hoovers have left most of the house in its original state, but recently renovated their kitchen and den exposing large wooden beams in the ceiling that existed behind a hidden flat ceiling. The house has three working fireplaces on each level of the home.
The Hoover's carriage house, once a garage, then an in-law's suite, has been completely remodeled into a pool house with a decorative tropical theme that adjoins their pool. With young children in the household, this is a "family home" that is fun to retire to in the evening. You don't want to miss this one!
Camady-Drew-Kelley House ~ Ca. 1893
Mr. And Mrs. Michael Kelley, Owners
232 Sam Davis Avenue
Pulaski, TN 38478
A striking adaptation of the Four-Square plan popular in early 20th century Pulaski and elsewhere in the country. Modern conveniences have been combined with preservation in this residence. The home features a bay window and a large porch typical of the architectural motif of Four Square buildings. This home is a “sister” to the residence at 131 Sam Davis; both houses having been built during the same period by Gray Ragsdale, one for each of his daughters. The comfortable, two-story residence stands at the entrance to the boundary line which once divided white and Indian Territory.
The Sam Davis hanging took place down the street from the Kelley home. During this lynching, the Confederate Soldiers tied their horses to a tree that once stood in the Kelley's backyard.
The Kelley's home is decorated with beautiful original oil paintings by Bettie Haller, Rachel Kelley's mother. Bettie is a Texas-based artist, whose paintings are found in numerous universities, public buildings and private art collections across the country. She was trained by her father, Palmer Chrisman, who sold paintings to Lyndon B. Johnson while he was in office. One of Palmer's paintings still hangs today in the permanent art collection in the White House. The Kelley's home boasts a Palmer Chrisman original, as well.
Yancey-Smith-Stephens House ~ Ca. 1923
Mr. And Mrs. David Stephens, Owners
332 West Jefferson Street
Pulaski, TN 38478
Built in 1923 and situated on the same land that once occupied the first house ever built on West Jefferson Street, the Yancey-Smith Stephens home at 332 West Jefferson is a grand example of the ubiquitous American Foursquare. This home’s predecessor was a large brick home belonging to L. W. McCord, Editor of the Independent Citizen (now known as the Pulaski Citizen, the oldest business firm in the county) and was demolished in 1908, explaining why the current structure is more modern than the Victorians and Neo-Classical homes that surround it. Though larger than most Four Squares, and with a center hall, this home was built for Robert P. Yancey by his father and changed hands only twice since 1933 even though it was occupied by various Pulaski citizens after being divided into 2 apartments following the suicide of Mr. Yancey, in bankruptcy. The home has been lovingly renovated by David and Michele Stephens and features 10 foot ceilings on the main floor and the original heart pine floors throughout the home. The Stephens’ returned most rooms to their original locations and reclaimed a rear porch when renovating the kitchen which features the uncovered brick flue from the original cook stove, as the range’s back wall. This home features over 40 windows, a large scale landing and adjoining sleeping porch as well as extensive new rock and brick hardscapes that utilized local limestone and old brick. The back porch’s original stairs to the basement are now covered with hardwood and a rising ‘door’ leading to the basement as a safe room.
Maps, tickets and brochures will be available at the door of each home on the day of the tour.
For more information, call Giles County Tourism Foundation 931-363-3789, ext. 22.